Homosexuality in the Church (Part 2)?
On this episode of Theology Unplugged, Michael, Tim, Sam, and JJ continue their series, with part 2 of “Homosexuality in the Church”.
Homosexuality is one of the most volatile issues in Christianity today. But why? Why has sexuality taken center stage?
Our view of Christ and culture is not one where we are circling the wagons in order to not be infected by the broader culture. ~ JJ Seid
Their sexuality is a temporary endeavor […] I would much rather lead someone to Jesus than lead them to heterosexuality. ~ Tim Kimberley
The hosts go to the very beginning of the Bible, the book of Genesis, to jump-start a discussion about Biblical sexuality.
In Genesis, God sets forth His creative design for humankind. He made them male and female. He made the two genders for each other. This was the original design.
How has that original design changed over time? Is change in this definition good? If some change is acceptable at what point does change become bad?
Common Questions About Homosexuality
- Can a Christian be homosexual? Can a homosexual be a Christian?
- How should the church respond to homosexual members?
- Does the church pick on homosexuals?
- Should scripture have the last word? Should cultural influences be included?
- Are there legal issues to consider?
- Is there a moral standard that binds all people? Does it have anything to say about sexuality?
- Does the Bible have much to say about this issue or is it largely silent?
- Is the church using scripture to justify its treatment of homosexuals, lesbians, bisexual, and transgendered people the way it did African Americans?
- Does the Bible condemn homosexuals to a celibate lifestyle?
Further Reading: Can Homosexuals be Saved.
This controversy shows no signs of dying down. Christian churches everywhere will have to deal with questions about sexuality. The Bible isn’t silent on this issue. Starting in Genesis, human sexuality and marriage are in focus. From the Old to the New Testament the Bible is full of relationship instruction.
Subscribe to Theology Unplugged in iTunes
As always, Theology Unplugged centers around what scripture says. However, in this episode, the actions of the church also take center stage.
Has your church had to deal with this issue? Did they do well? Do you think the church should accept openly homosexual members?
1 Response to "Homosexuality in the Church (Part 2) – Theology Unplugged"