1. You shall not have any other God’s before me.
1. Reverse: You shall place ultimate trust in only me to provide you with all that you need. You shall look toward me as the source of all things. You shall understand that there are no other ultimate sources for life’s necessities. You shall recognize that banks don’t provide security. You shall realize that I am the true source for happiness. You shall look first to me when you are in need of companionship.
2. You shall not create any graven image.
2. Reverse: You shall recognize that I am beyond any limitations that you might attempt to place on me. You shall know that I am in control, not you. You shall not attempt to manipulate me to accomplish your will. You shall know that I am sovereign and I do what I will on heaven, earth, and in your life.
3. You shall not take the Lord’s name in vain.
3. Reverse: You shall respect and protect my reputation and only speak the truth about me. You shall represent me only in a way that is in accordance with what I have revealed.
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
4. Reverse: You shall not forget about me because of the business of your work and ambitions. You shall not prioritize your time with me below that of other pleasures and efforts. You shall take a break to refresh and renew your life at least once a week.
5. Honor you father and mother.
5. Reverse: You shall not fail to respect your father and mother by living your life in such a way that will bring them ultimate shame. You shall not speak to them or treat them in a way that is irreverent of their authority and influence which God has given them.
6. You shall not murder.
6. Reverse: You shall protect life, both in yourself and others. You shall have a reverence for life in such a way that by deed and example you demonstrate the sacredness of human life. You shall exercise and eat healthy. You shall protect the life of the young and old.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
7. Reverse: You shall live a live of commitment and fidelity to your spouse. You shall protect the marriage bed both in thought and deed. You shall have a reverence for the holy institution of marriage, whether you are married or not.
8. You shall not steal.
8. Reverse: You shall respect personal property understanding that it is a gift of God. You shall rely on God for your needs. You shall protect the property of others.
9. You shall not bear false witness.
9. Reverse: You shall have a love, respect, and reverence for the truth. You shall speak only about that which you know and be silent in other matters. You shall be transparent both to yourself and to others. You shall tell the truth in all matters and be real to all people.
10. You shall not covet.
10. Reverse: You shall be satisfied with what the Lord has provided. You shall be grateful even in times of want, recognizing what you do have. You shall be happy when people have things that are a blessing, even if you do not.